It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 am

Post subject: Some bugs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:32 pm 

Here are some bugs I've noticed playing the most recent extended version (4.6)...

• Extremely out-of-depth monsters start to appear around level 12-13... stuff like Nosferatu, elder lich, and undead dragon.
  • Digging for treasure does not work (a message says there's treasure, the shovel can break, but no treasure appears).
  • Fighting the hydra crashes the game, and Monster Lore does not work on it.
  • The Open spell/staff does not work on chests.
  • The No Music option does not work on special levels. Also, the options should save between plays.

I'll hold off playing until the next version, as these bugs (particularly the OOD monsters) are pretty annoying.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Some bugs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Digging treasure with shovel as well as with the unearth treasure spell has already been found and fixed. Will be in next release (probably next week)

the hydra has to be reworked completely. This is still very old code that has to be adapted to new monster system. Hopefully we achieve that for next release as well.

Open spell error has been found and fixed.

We will search for the too high monster bug and the sound in special levels.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

music for special levels has been found and fixed as well.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 pm 

Cool! Despite myself I went and played a little more, and found another bug: if you attack in melee while standing on a teleporter (after teleporting), sometimes the screen will flash back and forth between the two teleporter positions. It doesn't always happen, though.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:46 am 

Done some testing and found no sign of high level monsters spawning too early. The Nosferatu doesn't spawn before level 35 while the Vampire spawns at 25. I did fix a bug where monsters in special levels (Like Halls of the Dead) spawned too powerful monsters.

It might also be a balancing issue, like the dangerous Green Dragon already spawns at level 19 (intentionally).

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:18 pm 

I don't know what the difference is, but these high-level spawns occur consistently (all of my characters that reached level twelve or later died to them), and they mostly seem to be undead: vampires, Nosferatu, skeletal dragons, elder liches, and spectres, for instance. But I've also seen Frost Giants appear, which I looked up and found to be level 23. I'm not sure, but I think that the OOD monsters do not spawn upon level generation, but only later. It's also possible that all of these deaths occurred in a special level, if one is guaranteed to appear around those levels.

Could it have something to do with my choice of traits? In particular, maybe "Cursed" increases the danger rating of the level or something. My full loadout is: Combat Training, Strength, Fighting in Armor, Toughness, Hunter, Charge Attack, Fast Attack, Danger Sense, First Aid, Spelunker, Udjat Eye, Wisdom, God of War, Swimming, Monster Lore, Poison Weakness, Magic Weakness, Cursed, No Magic, Gluttony, Weak Fingers, Illiterate.

Thanks for the prompt response, anyway!

Also, another possible bug I just remembered: I tried God of Wealth, and it didn't seem to work. Does only the gold a level starts with (as opposed to gold dropped by monsters) count?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:21 am 

We found the OOD spawn problem, was a bug with the extra spawn caused if there is a Lord of the Undead on that level.
Also saw,that all special level monster list were not used, so all special levels would still spawn from the normal list.

God of Wealth should work with all gold stacks you pick up. The ones dropped by monsters are exactly the same as normal ones. So probably just some bad luck. God of Wealth makes a great combo with hunter/paladin/headhunter for that reason. Does not work with mercenary as that skill does not leave stacks.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:06 am 

Hooray! When the new version comes out, I'll play some more and give some feedback about stuff other than bugs... unless Dungeons of Dredmor comes out before then, in which case I'll be delayed.

Speaking of Dredmor, one of its designers cited Lost Labyrinth as a major inspiration, so that's something for you guys to be proud of.

OfflineProfile