It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 am

Post subject: fallen through a trapdoor---no experience gain
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:06 pm 

What occured to me in every game I played: When falling down through a trapdoor I`m in a deeper dungeon level...understandable.
But I can`t improve my character...not understandable.

When I fight my way back to the stairs (exit), go up and down again, I don`t receive my experience gain (that screen where you increase one ability per level), which you get when reaching a deeper dungeon level.

So, is that a bug or a regular "feature" that you lose your opportunity to improve your character for that level when you`ve fallen through a trapdoor?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: fallen through a trapdoor---no experience gain
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:53 pm 

If you didnt lose the experience gain, it would be beneficial to fall through trap doors (free ride to next level!). So it is intentional that you miss your experience gian.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:16 pm 

Pretty mean... :)

but that seems to be the main concept behind the game (behind all Dungeon Crawlers), it is nearly impossible to survive, and if, you have been damn lucky....

25% character abilities, 25% player abilities , 50% luck

well, that makes it even a bigger success when you reach a good score
and the game more of a challenge! :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:31 pm 

I think a LOT also depends on your tactics and choice of character skills. If you take Trap Lore for example, you can pretty much eliminate all pit traps. Increasing the wrong stats (like only Strength) can also lead to a early death if your character build not depends entirely on Strength.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:23 pm 

Well, I combined Trap Lore and Danger Sense (90% Trapfinding altogether) with the result that I scored my best outcome up to now 5 minutes ago, lvl 8 , 199 Points
...but still luck played a big role, I found a 2 handed weapon (dam 7 crit 12) (had Monkey Grip for using it single handed) and kicked all monster butts with it...and I was even more lucky because it didn`t break (had no Crafting)

Well although its Offtopic nevertheless funny, the way I died: I saved myself luckily with 3 lifepoints (no healing goods left) into a room with a wishlamp on a pedestal...touched it and was killed by a fireball (couldnt see if it was a trap or a monster) :)

oh, and I level my character in a balanced way, Attack, Strength and Lifepoints, he`s more of a fighting allrounder

Veteran, Fast Attack, Trap Lore, Night Vision, Speed, Danger Sense, Survival Expert, Elf Blood, Awareness, Herb Lore, Heavy Carrier, Monkey Grip, Poison Weakness, No Magic, Weak Fingers

maybe I should exchange Speed with First Aid or something (to depend less on healing goods) but with a higher Speed, less food and water is needed...any suggestions?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:11 am 

If you want to increase your "mileage", maybe swift fingers will give more benefit than speed, as grabbing loot will cost you 1 turn else ,no matter your speed.
Though with survival expert and no poverty, you should not have problems with food,water or light. Recharging torches / water skin at a merchant is cheap, so maybe you can go without night vision too.
The game does guarantee 1 merchant in level 1-3,4-6 and 7-9. If you don't dilly-dally you should get by with the 2 torches you start with recharging. You will also most likely find additional ones along the way. You can then take something else instead or drop a flaw.

OfflineProfile