It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Post subject: Extra money for the first item sold
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 am 

I've just noticed this: I had 0 gold pieces, first level. I approached a mercant, I sold him a scroll (sell value: 15).. and a moneybag with 85 gold pieces appeared in my backpack.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Extra money for the first item sold
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

I just tried to reproduce this one. But its not working. Everything in my game works as expected.
This are the worst errors. A programmers nightmare!
If I can't reproduce it its pretty hard to fix it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 am 

Really? That's weird.. now *every* time I play, after I sell my first item (usually a scroll), I receive hundreds g.p.. I was thinking this was intended (as a random initial money that doesn't appears directly in the inventory just to prevent restartscumming)!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:11 am 

I still have this bug in version 4.5.0

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:42 am 

And two more things:
1. I loose points when I buy items; 10 gold = 1 point. For example, if I'll buy an item fthat costs 400 gold, I'll loose 40 points. I don't know if it's bug or not.
2. The second bug, related with money (as i suppose) - i get 20 points while descending to the lower dungeon level (in any way, either stairs or trapdoor).

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:14 am 

Those are no bugs. Those are effects of the point score formula.
From the char info screen:
"Points for highscore: 10xlevel + kills/5 + gold/10 + 100xstaff-pieces"
"Points for kills and gold can not exceed the points for reached levels"

So if you reach a new level (even if by falling down), you get 10 more points.
(The "only" problem of a trapdoor is missing out on improving an attribute.)
You can get up to 10 more points each from your number of kills and gold pieces .
Gold is a bit odd here as it is the one part of the score that can actually go down.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:05 am 

Yes, I know that money counts on points formula.
But it's still strange that it decreases points by so great amount.
You can add item's value to the points formula (at least items sale value), so points will decrease only by (item buy price - item sale price)*0.1

And when you get bugged money from trader, you always get 20 points while descending to the lower dungeon level as you have much money. That's what I meant. I think that the amount of bugged money you got from trader is related to the number of money you had when dead in previous game. However, this amount nullifies when you restart the programm.

The big problem of a trapdoor is destroying potions. Attrubite is less important (easpecially for fighter, as I get 15 strenght and at least 140% accuracy easy - with approving only strenght attribute).

I have 2 offtopic questions, also.
1. Does accuracy that exceeds 100% give something? i.e. is 120% accuracy better than 100%? I can miss a monster with accuracy than exceeds 100% For example, the dragon, whom you encounter when falling into his lair in the "??? room" has a really low chance to be hitted. I died several times there when I had rather gpod equipment (magical armor and good weapon) and I killed him only one time with basic dagger in one hit (!) - when I've felt into his lair on dungeon level 5.
2. Is there a topic where I can view spells of all magic schools? There are weapons and armors lists in FAQ but I haven't found any spell list.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm 

Yes, that is it exactly. Money is not reset if one restarts a game. :shock:
Typical developer blindness... :oops: we always restart the game as we usually have just changed something in the code and then compiled. Thus we never encountered that error ourselves. Just like the broken room list back then.

1. I guess you play using the keyboard, like most experienced players do. :P
Else, you would have probably read the explanatory texts. These appear if you move the mouse over an attribute in the character data screen. 8-)
It is explained there, that the monster's ability to avoid attacks is reducing your effective accuracy. So to hit high level monsters reliably, one needs well above 100%.

2. Well, aside from the readme-spells.txt , there is none. The wiki does not have one simply because nobody put one there. So feel free to do so. :lol:
I might sometime make an in-game spell explorer. That would have the advantage of getting updated automatically.

Quote:
especially for fighter, as I get 15 strength and at least 140% accuracy

Well, even as a fighter I'd like to crank up other attributes too.
Ignoring circle,mana and power, there are still dexterity,speed,perception and luck.
(hint : have a look at the mouse-over texts there too ;) )

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:09 pm 

Quote:
I guess you play using the keyboard, like most experienced players do.

Yeah, keyboard controls are much faster and more comfortable.
But they have one minus. When I descend I just push 2 times a "down arrow" button and "enter" button to increase strenght. So, I've got so used to it that I upgraded strenght 2 times by mistake and got 17 (15) strenght. :lol:

Quote:
Well, even as a fighter I'd like to crank up other attributes too.

Strenght is great with warrior's skills. 15 strenght gives +30 bonus HP, +75% accuracy and up to 40 damage per each target. When you kill almost all monsters in one hit with high accuracy, you don't need other attributes. :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Yeah, keyboard controls are much faster and more comfortable.
But they have one minus. When I descend I just push 2 times a "down arrow" button and "enter" button to increase strenght. So, I've got so used to it that I upgraded strenght 2 times by mistake and got 17 (15) strenght. :lol:

In a future version we will implement that attributes cannot be raised over its maximum levels.

Quote:
Strenght is great with warrior's skills. 15 strenght gives +30 bonus HP, +75% accuracy and up to 40 damage per each target. When you kill almost all monsters in one hit with high accuracy, you don't need other attributes. :D

Thats true for monsters but other things kill you as well. Like traps.
Increasing speed is good for not starving.
And in later levels when monsters get skills to kill you instantly (Turn to stone, view of death) luck gets more and more important.

OfflineProfile