It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Post subject: More ideas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:05 am 

Rebalancing
The toughness trait. I really can's see how it is worth 2 points. It only reduces all damage take by 1, which is a little even on lower levels. I buffed it so that it works against magical damage (description does say ALL damage) but still I am not sure if it is worth 2 points. Compare it to Dodge which reduces all damage taken by 50% !! The only benefit of Toughness is to ignore those pesky spiked pit traps that deal 1 damage (but boots give the same benefit!).

- How about making it a secondary trait worth 1 point?
- What about making it reduce 1 damage OR 20% whichever is higher? (so you take 2 less damage for every 10 points)

Cosmetic
I think what makes people play Lost Laby again and again is variety in the labyrinth (new rooms, special levels, rivers, etc.). But the same standard labyrinth will get boring after a while. What about new labyrinth tilesets depending on how deep you are? The player will get a sense of reward if he or she manages to reach a new dungeon level where the walls and floors begin to look different. It adds to the fun of exploring ;)

New Monster Magic
I also wanted to say I have implemented 3 new spells for monsters:

SUMMON MONSTER
The monster will summon another random monster as close to the player as possible. The level of the
summoned monster is maximum (MonsterLevel/2 + Spellpower)

THUNDERBOLT
Deals Random(Spellpower+2)+1 LIGHTNING damage.

HEALING
Monster can heal itself or an ally monster for 2*Random(Spellpower+1)+1 life points. The monster will try
to heal itself first if it is hurt. Healing does not work on undead, ghosts or constructs.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: More ideas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Admin

Balancing:
Guess you are right. Toughness is a bit weak. And I like the idea that it prevents 20% of the damage instead.
There is more to do in bancing in the game.
What still sucks are all abilities that only give an advantage at gamestart (like combat, trainung, strength and the like)
We should change that somehow that it given something on the road as well.

cosmetic:
every 5 levels the walls and floors change.
and there are the special levels.
would be nice to have dungeon fields that show only when you are deep enough.
would also be nice to have something like rooms but is actually something like a pregenerated part of the dungeon. maybe bigger than the rooms and not hidden at levelstart.
we thought we implement that for the storymode. but to make this possible we first have to implement triggers. more brainstorming is needed here.
would also be nice to have a different room for every staff piece. so the lower onces are harder to get.

monster magic:
good work. those are good ideas. I also saw in the code you wrote more ideas already and I think they are all worth implementing.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 am 

I actually like the short-term abilities like Veteran, Heirloom and all the Strength, Attack and Dexterity, etc. As opposition I never pick long-term abilities like Wisdom. (I have to reach 12 or so levels before it is equally good to a Strength trait for example)

Since this is a coffee break game you want to quickly gain some power sometimes and not bother with being the very weak adventurer again every time you start the game.

A easy way to improve the Strength, Dexterity, Attack and Luck skills would be that they increase the max score by 5 in addition to giving a +3 bonus to the stat. That would be very beneficial in the long term!

So a character who has Strength starts with 4 strength (instead of 1) and can maximum have 20 instead of the normal 15.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Good idea to raise the max ratings when ability is taken.
(As I remember Grunz also suggested that some time ago)
We have to prevent people from raising above the max rating in the experience screen then.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:53 pm 

Rebalance
Okay I have rebalanced the Strength, Speed, Luck, Dexterity and Spell Power so that each raises the max score by 5. I also fixed some bugs where attributes weren't correctly calculated.

I think Constitution already scales pretty good (gaining 1 extra hp each level up). Or should I increase max HP by 50 as well?

Toughness now reduces 20% of all damage taken. (always at least 1)

Attack
The only thing I haven't been able to do anything with yet is the Attack skill. It still gives only +3 Attack and doesn't scale very well since there is no max attack value! Any ideas?

Other neat ideas
I took the liberty of changing the Spy skill into a Pathfinder skill. Why would espionage improve movement speed? (and even so for everyone?). I thought it fit under Way of the Adventurer.

I also implemented so that monsters now only spawn in dark areas so that they suddenly don't appear around the player. This means light is more beneficial from keeping monsters to spawn around you. Blindness is even more scary now! (monster can spawn right behind you because of your short vision)

I had an idea for a new Way of the Shadow skill -> Backstabber:
It's effect would be an automatic Critical Strike on any sleeping monster (2 CP) Assassination would be a better name, but it was already used. :P

Should Mercenary not be under Way of the Adventurer?

Ranged attacks like bows aren't attractive enough imho. I have a couple of ideas to improve it:

Penetrating Shot (new Way of the Bow skill)
If arrow kills monster, it will continue flying through it, potentionally hitting another monster. (2 CP)

Dexterity damage
Maybe dexterity could increase ranged attack damage similar on how strength increases melee?

Easy ranged attacks
I intend to implement so that you can simply press a hotkey (CTRL for example) and you will fire your ranged weapon in the direction you are facing. One of the main reasons I don't play ranged characters is that I have to click the ranged attack button, move the mouse towards the monster and then select who I want to hit. Repeat. Repeat. Finally. Now with a hotkey you would simply fire your ranged weapon and the projectile would hit the first monster it encounters (potentionally nothing or it hits a wall or goes outside screen range)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:13 am 

Archery works well enough already if you use the keyboard instead of the mouse imo. I already pondered making @ shoot in the direction @ is looking at, but right now we are missing the possibility to change that direction without marching there too.
Quickest way I can come up with is: after pressing "F", the game just takes the next arrow key as direction to shoot at. (instead of invoking the select field routine)
For the mouse, I planned to allow the player to assign an action to the right mouse button for the main screen. (e.g. fire arrow,mystic attack,use quick slot x,cast quick spell x)
If we get elice to support button 3, we can use that too.
SDL does support the mouse wheel too, so that might be possible too some day.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:26 am 

Well I am not sure how archery on the keyboard works, but I have reworked and cleaned up the ranged combat code. You can now use left control button to fire a arrow in the direction you are facing. The arrow will fly until it hits a monster or wall.

To make things more interesting I've implemented 3 new skills:
- Precise Shot (add perception to damage on ranged attacks)
- Arcane Shot (can spend 1 mana to summon a arrow)
- Blind Shot (no penality for shooting into darkness or at invisible)

I also noticed that ranged weapons did not scale with any skill, so I added so that dexterity increases ranged attack damage same way strength increases in melee. This is so that ranged weapons don't deal the same amount of damage on level 1 as on level 100.

Note: If you do not have any arrows equipped and no Arcane Shot, it is actually possible to turn around without moving :P

Unrelated
I discovered Dodge prevents 50% of all Death Gaze and Petrify attacks. Was this intended? (It makes the dodge skill even more immensely powerful imo)

Luck
I made negative luck possible (bad luck). Bad luck actually decreases chances for sneaking, crits, gold found, etc. (increases chance of weapons breaking for example). You can have as low as -10 Luck.

A new Curse of Fortuna reduces luck by 10. If you kill the Haunted Mirror monster you will get this curse (breaking a mirror = 7 years of misfortune!)

Luck now reduces chance of weapons and armor breaking.

What about a minor disadvantage called Unlucky? (player starts with -2 luck, -1 CP)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

It should still be possible to shoot on a monster in the second row.
Makes sense that when the shooter presses return on an empty field the arrow simply attacks the next possible monster.
Same when he clicks on an empty field.
(I can't compile still, but I just thought a bit about it)

The 3 new bowskills sound good. Have to play a bit with them to see how they turn out in the game.
I improved archery as far as to make it possible to play an archer at all. The classic version does not have any archers.
With your changes I think it gets a better and more competitive character class.
Thumbs up!

Its intended that dodge has a chance to prevent death gaze and turn to stone as there are not too many skills, abilities and items that help here.
Could be that this is not very well balanced yet :(

"Unlucky" sounds good. But when we give the advantages something that lasts the whole game this should also have a permanent disadvantage. maybe it sets max luck to 3?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 am 

I already implemented so that you can "attack ground" with archery. That is you can use the ranged attack button and target a specific tile with your mouse (like it was previously) or you can use the CTRL button. ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 pm 

" [quote="Zefz"]Rebalance
"
" Attack
" The only thing I haven't been able to do anything with yet is the Attack skill.
" It still gives only +3 Attack and doesn't scale very well since there is no max
" attack value! Any ideas?"

What about granting a bonus for more critical hits?
For instance increasing the maximum chance for critical hits from 45% to 50% or 55%?
Or dealing double damage on monsters immune to critical hit if without immunity it would have been a critical hit?

OfflineProfile