It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:00 am

Post subject: Expicit Player Change
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:19 am 

When I play lostlaby I try to get a team through - therefore my alias in this forum.
Using the arrowkeys it frequently happens, that I overstep a player and the next player moves where I don't like it to be.
Also I would apreciate very much if I could check the players stats or reorder its inventory AFTER the last movement.
For this reason I would like an option to switch of the automatic change from one player to the next when the first players last step is done.
To force use the 'x' key or the button with the same function would be convenient. I hope the aditional chance to put down objects from the inventory is not considered to improve the chances to much.
Another advantage would be, that I could try different pieces of armor and check, how this affects the players stats and repeat this until I get the result I like most.
I also would like to use it with an overburdened player to put down less valuable objects until it regains its full speed.
Armin
P.S. 'x' key:
'x' (switch player) and 'c' (cast a spell) are very close on the keyboart, and when playing fast sometimes I press the wrong one. An Option to switch 'x' with tabkey would be nice.
Armin

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Expicit Player Change
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 pm 

This has been added to the todo list.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

As long as we just rearrange things in the inventory it does not cost the turn but as soon as we use something (like equipping) this costs the turn.
So it would be an advantage to allow players to do that at the end of their turns.

Following things come to mind:
Implement a new skill for that (maybe a secondary one)
Or a new option that allows us to always go to the inventory at our last step.
This seems a bit inconvenient as most of the time we will not need that.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 pm 

Yes, there is an 'in game' advantage while playing. I don't think it is bigger than the advantage you get when increasing speed by 1.
But that is not the main advantage I'd like to have.
A typical situation: I plan to stop player1 at a specific tile. I reach the tile and press 'x'. Bad luck, because I reached the tile with the last step and 'x' quits player 2.
Next situation: I play a mage without 'casting in armour'. By opening a golden box I got a magical armour but I don't use it at the moment. Then I meet a monster with lot of lifepoints behind a corner. I can't burn it from the distance (Bad luck. Cornered.). Now I have to choose: Will I take the armour and reduce my ability to cast my spells successfully - or is it better to take the punishment by the monster but have an optimal success with my spellcasting. To make the decision I have to spend a turn to put on the armour. Next turn I look at the effects in the character data. Not quite the effect I like. Spend a second turn to remove the armour. The result is: 2 turns lost for nothing.
Third situation: Player1 is trapped in an ambush. Player2 is a skilled swordfighter but needs three turns to reach Player1 an rescue it. Player3 is a mage with lot of destructive power, but only very few manapoints saved for a real emergency situation. Use the last manapoints or keep them? It would be perfect to look at the character data of player1, see how much lifepoints left and calculate the risk. So I wait one turn, take a look at the character data of Player1, and after that at the high scores: To late little mage - your friend is gone for good.
Fourth situation: Burdened Player as described in my initial post.

As you see from the examples I hope for 3 things:
1) Safeguarding against my own hastyness
2) A usefull access to the character data screen before switching to the next player.
3) A chance to look at the results of an operation in the inventory before I make the decision to accept these results or to discard them before ending the turn.

Armin

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

I already wrote a ticket for the bugtracker for an option to see all players stats in the cinfo screen in multiplayer.
I totally agree with that.

And what you basically want imho is the option to switch from inventory screen to cinfo screen without lossing the turn. This also sounds reasonable so we have to check if thats possible technically.

OfflineProfile