It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Post subject: combining armour skills
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:55 pm 

I was trying the warlock school.
The warlock seems to need some of the skills of a mage and some of the skills of a fighter or bowman, and for this type there are few flaws which won't bring a big disadvantage. With only either fighting in armor or casting in armor either the magical weapons of the warlock school or its magical armor has big disadvantages.
For that reason I suggest to combine "fighting in armor" and "casting in armor" in a single skill and place it in in the way of adventure.
The pure mage would have no advantage from this changed skill as well as the pure fighter. On the other hand the warlock could use the spare skillpoints quite well as there are no easily chosen flaws.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: combining armour skills
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:55 pm 

Well one can fight in armor without the skill (you simply lose some attack, which can be compensated with improving your attack skill for example).

And casting in armor simply removes the chance to fail while casting spells. You can still cast spells in armor, but there is a small chance it will fail.

The worst case (if you are fully plated with the heaviest armor in boots, gloves, shield, cloak and armor) should be around -40%? But then you are asking for it :P

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 pm 

I developed an even better work around: Armour on - fight. Armour off - cast spell. Loosing two rounds by changing armour is cheaper than loosing mana with failed spells. But its no fun playing that way. Too much inventory operation.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

I agree that warlock is close to impossible to build as some flaws are for mages and some for fighters. he can not take those, so his points will not be sufficient for a good build.
I will think about combining those 2 skills. as its true that you would normally pick only one of those anyway.

OfflineProfile