It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Post subject: Multiplayer - online
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:01 pm 

Hi, I wonder if it is posible to implement into game online multiplayer?
I know that this could be major change, but is it possible at all?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Multiplayer - online
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

We are still working on changing the items and monsters to linked lists what will enable us to have more than one on each labyrinth field. This is a major change and we will have to do a lot of testing then.
As soon as this is working we can have a deeper look into the multiplayer mode. I do not know exactely how to do that. To keep everthing in sync. We will have to do a lot of brainstorming to achieve this.
A chinese guy wrote me he is already playing laby with friends in multiplayer mode. He is doing this with a vnc client.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 am 

eh make different servers with different and different labyrinth level like theif ones and stuff

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

There are a lot of different scenarios multiplyer could be realized.
f.e. we could transform the levels into a mysql database and in this way host the labyrinth on a server. This way laby would be client only.
Or we could have a player's machine to be the master means the laby is on his machine and is served from there to the other players.

For both alternatives a lot of work has to be done I fear.

Next question is what exactely is hosted. I would say no more than 4 players can be in the same labyrinth because otherwise every player has to wait to long for the others to finish there turns. So maybe one can create a laby and players can join as long as there are no more than 4 players in there. And it makes no sense to enter a laby where the other players are already very deep down in the labyrinth. Maybe it would make sense to allow entrance only to labyrinth where all players are still in the first level.

This are just some first thoughts.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:21 pm 

First off, this is an awesome game!

Just some thoughts: ;)

Would it be possible to have a lost labyrinth server with up to 100 players online in the same dungeon?

You could subdivide the levels into "sections" of approximately 15x15 squares, all players in the section would be considered 'synced' and fall into turn order with 30 seconds to make a move. If no other players are in your section you can take as long as you like. If you go over 30 seconds you lose your turn as per 'skip turn'.

When you meet other players in the labyrinth you could offer them "Alliance" and recruit them as allies. Play "Neutral" no other players affect you at all. or play "Hostile" all players not in your alliance are considered monsters so you can fight them.

At the end of each level you could have an optional market screen where you could sell items to all other players in the game.

Because of the high number of players in each dungeon you would need some kind of repopulating feature for the monsters and treasures so people don't end up having nothing to do once the first few players go through.

The scenario could end when someone reaches the end of the dungeon or gains all pieces of the staff of the last convenant.

Just some ideas. Any kind of multiplayer would be great. and thanks for making such a great game, kudos!

Dmofalterak.

P.S.

I Also love your forum setup, it looks awesome. ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Very inspiring post on multiplayer I have to say.

I would love it to enable all players that join the game in muliplayer mode to enter the same dungeon if they want to. That would be the most fun I guess. And as the game ends when somebody reaches the end it, kind of, makes no sense to enter a dungeon where players are really deep already. So we should show the status of every dungeon on a page on the homepage and in the game. Interesting information is the level of the furthest player and how many parts of the staff have already been found.
Alignments as you wrote are a really good idea. So other players my attack you, ignore you or are friendly to you and even may form a party with you.

What still puzzles me is the rounds issue.
Lets say the server handles turns in 2 Minutes blocks. So every player as 2 minutes to choose his actions. What if he takes less time? Does he still have to wait? Or what if he is in the spell casting screen and the turn ends because of time. Or worse in the equipment screen where one cannot see whats happening in the dungeon. So another player could run around the corner without beeing seen and attack you.

Repopulating should consider how many players are in a level and put an according number of new monsters in it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 am 

I think a server status screen would be an excellent idea. The number of players on the server might be helpful too.

As for the rounds, would it be feasible to automatically "shunt" all players to the regular screen when the turn ends? This way they don't miss anything.

If they don't complete their move in the allotted time they could lose their turn. If someone completes their turn early they'd have to wait for everyone else on the server unless you have the turn end when all players click on an action.

If you used a server-wide timer for turns a lower number of players per server would be ideal, so people don't end up waiting for each other.

If you could somehow use a different timer for each level, or each section of the dungeon, you could accomodate a much larger number of players and decrease the turn time. (waiting on less players=faster turns).

Thank you for considering my ideas and suggestions, use only what's helpful. :)

Ten reasons this game is awesome:

1. Loads of ways to die: thirst, hunger, drowning, monsters, traps, poison, missing experience gains. You must balance them all to survive.

2. Thinking: as opposed to clicking madly.

3. Attention to detail: can't kill skelitons with a staff of Dryness, can't die of thirst while drowning, etc.

4. Variable Character Creation.

5. Picking up loads of cool treasure.

6. Special levels: awesome.

7. Madly using up all your unknown potions and scrolls when you're about to die. Very fun.

8. Roasting stuff with fireballs and Sea of Flames.

9. Up to four players. Yay!

10. Running around with a magic sword in each hand and annihilating everything. :)

Just ten of the reasons this game is so great. Great job, Markus! Awesome game! Kudos!

--DmofAlterak

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:03 am 

I realize I'm digging up an old post here, but I have a fairly decent and not-too-complicated (I hope!) idea when you decide to implement multiplayer.

This assumes that Laby has a master-server and that everyone has client programs. The idea is similar to that of Guild Wars, if you've played it: each client gets its own instance of the dungeons, and is free to run through them at whatever pace is comfortable. The multiplayer part is that, at regular intervals (say... every 5 or 10 levels), there is a static level, similar to a town in the Guild Wars analogy. Different clients could trade items, trade characters (don't know if this would be an awesome or lame idea), and chat in the static zone. Clients can enter and leave these static zones at their own pace, opting to just run straight through them if they don't feel like interacting with anyone, or just hang out and give help/advice or chat with others passing through.

Usually I play with a 4-character "squad" (and I imagine most people do too, to make the most flexible party possible), and so I figured a couple of friends could agree to do a run through the labyrinth and wait up for each other at each static instance to recooperate, swap awesome stories, and give each other gear. Then, off through the next 5 levels before getting another chance to meet up with the other "teams" running through the labyrinth, and so on.

I also like the idea of "alliances", so people in your alliance could still send you messages when you're in your private instance between static rooms.

I don't know if this is not enough multiplayer for what others had in mind, but hey... there's my two cents.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:01 pm 

Hello has all, I am a French player already thank you for having translated him(it) and I had to find an idea for the on-line fashion to make a system of party, the players accommodate their party among 4 persons by party, the players to wait for the other one in a blank(virgin) room just with a staircase to begin parties. After rules of the game (travel(movement), attack(affect) ect) remain the same as when we play 4 on the same pc, I hope that you will have understood the idea I have very bad English thank you again for this magnificent game(set,play) I feast really above!

OfflineProfile