It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Post subject: Suggested system of food and drink
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 pm 

Hi, I've been thinking about the system of food and drink of the game would and propose some modification. Eating and drinking seems a repetitive function in the game. My intention, in this case, was to a different function for each of these components. Create a feedback system around them, to eat and drink is a strategic element and not simply two different elements of the same function. (water and food do the same thing, the difference is having more luck finding one on one level, and more luck to find another on another level.)

The idea is as follows: water can be used as a utensil to persons of physical stamina. Thus, things related to expend effort to make the water reserve of the character's body. Have the food could be used as a magical stamina, and everything we used magic may relate to increased hunger, and could also be used to make interactions with the map, how to move a stone, open a door, etc.. To give a bit of realism, both could use magic to make thirst as hunger could increase effort, but with less intensity.

Thus, a system options is given to the player. If he has with little food,'d rather face an enemy, and if you are low on water, prefer to use magic or have interactions with the map.

The skills related to water and food can be better planned every intent of this form. (I gave these examples need to be balanced, maybe the water is too fast to spend the amount of squares that the character walks. Anyway, the idea is basically this.)

Forgive the mistakes of the text, made with the translator.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Suggested system of food and drink
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 pm 

If I understand correctly, you suggest to make spellcasting and physical exertion drive up the consumption of different resources: food and water.

I can see the merit in that, as it could help balance out magic users, fighters and hybrid builds.
It could be difficult though, to find good formulae for that.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am 

Grunz wrote:
I can see the merit in that, as it could help balance out magic users, fighters and hybrid builds.
It could be difficult though, to find good formulae for that.

I don't think it could be very balancing as the general mechanic. As a tactical-survival consideration it would be available only to hybrids. And it woud make the pure warriors/mages more dependent on their respective resources.

But as new skills, this can be implemented without serious balance risk. So, what about:

Sacrificing strike- special attack, that deals double damage, but raises the thirst by 50 when used.

Energy overcharge- Like the Spell weaving, but instead of 1 mana, every level of spell power increases hunger by 10.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:39 pm 

I like the idea, but until spellcasters lose some of their ridiculous ability to ignore food/water needs (hello Magic Apple/Refresh/Rain/etc!), it would only serve to make spellcasters better at little cost.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:17 pm 

Well, it could, if magic was boosted by water (then, the WM would be very needed combo with the Overcharge), but magic apple itself do not create any usable reserves. If anything is providing real surplus of food, it is Survival Expert/Hunter/Cannibal -the food addiction would in fact lead me, as a mage, to invest less to magical abilities.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:12 pm 

Sure it does.

I've routinely had in excess of 10 Magic Apples (that's 60 food/10 thirst covered each) in my inventory, they last a really long time when Spell Power is decent, and/or you have access to Time Magic.

The abilities you mention are quite niche, especially to a magic user who has better options and especially when running Merchant - which is more broken in 5.0.0 than I can ever remember, thanks to the mass quantity of Heartstones for sale.

So Cannibal isn't very effective at the moment, since it requires Outcast which in turn bans Merchant. Survival Expert, though it stacks with Self-Hypnosis (spell), is essentially an inferior Self-Hypnosis because it doesn't cover thirst (or, you know, buy a half-hunger or half-thirst necklace from a Merchant). And Hunter has the same problem really, only covering hunger, although the +3/+3 bonus is nice - shame it only covers a weak monster type.

When you can spend two points on a school of magic that covers the same thing a two point perk does, its hard to argue in favor of the perk. Free Magic covers a lot of ground too, should you already be using it. Magic in general is rather OPed at the moment, so I'd argue against any changes that were boosts to primary-spellcaster builds.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 am 

Looks like we failed to make the skill description text clear. :oops:
Survival expert does double the value of both food and water.
So survivalists get 7 sips with 120 each out of a water skin for example.

And yes, time stop spell was super OP with having no limit - thus making you effectively immune to all monsters,poison,disease hunger and thirst.
In next release, all time effects like rising hunger/thirst , poison damage and such still work on you during time stop. Logically even, as you obviously did not stop the time for yourself too. :P And it has a cast limit now.
So with that monsters should at least get their chance to try and hurt a time mage. :roll:

Still magic is just stronger than mundane methods I think. All builds I ever got legitimately through the game were pure casters at least. 8-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 am 

Maybe the magically conjured items (like apples) should be dispelled at the nexuses, as well as the active spells.

Well, this is just like in every fantasy. The mages are potentially stronger, assuming they survive long enough, while the warriors are more stable and easier to balance in the beggining...

I think the Survival expert description is pretty clear. ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:23 pm 

Well, that's good to know. I always read it as affecting food only, if it affects both food and water then I'm somewhat more likely to run it in non-casting builds (its still garbage to any caster who can run Magic Apple, which should be all of them).

Nerfing Time Stop is a start, but don't be fooled into thinking I just spammed it through the last half of the game. It does eat mana, and I think making it eat even more mana is a preferable way to balance it - if I had to spend 20+ mana per casting, I'd pick my moments very carefully.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm 

My first real post here on the boards, so be understanding of it. :)

Most roguelikes offer a single-dimensional system for nutrition. I doubt the reason to it is to simplify things; it's moreso that you have to track down various parameters and this one only complies with the current setting. It simply adds a fixed penalty to the overall Hunger ratio, or installs a multiplier for a fixed ammount of turns (i.e. frenzy cooldown x1.5 or so) Another great RL known as UnrealWorld offers a three-dimensional system based on nutrition/malnutrition composition of a diet (mainly because it's a survival simulation). Keeping yourself hydrated is an important axis of staying fit and responsive.
Further example - I love pseudo-two dimensional systems with foods that yield a special effect - a temporary bonus to certain attributes and abilities, or even some unhealthy ingredients that hamper the player (poison, rot, radioactivity, disease). In classic (more or less) RLs, I reckon that thirst is mostly regulated via potions and various solvents in water (a REALLY refreshing fountain).

Feel free to further upgrade on these, notable perhaps, existing mechanisms of nutrition/hydration.

OfflineProfile