It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Post subject: some feedback
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:35 pm 

hey,

I love the game, it is one of the greatest games on linux, a real hidden gem :)

Here are my thoughts:

- the game window is way too small on high resolution monitors (i use 1600x1200). The full screen isnt a solution, because the screen becomes ugly and too big. There should be a window size between them. (i think that, this is the biggest problem with the game).
(- btw: the best thing would be if you would add the inventory, the character statistics, the spell screen and the automap all to the main screen. it would help the gameplay a lot. at the later levels you have to open all these screens a LOT.)

- the blue font isnt easy to read with the black background (maybe this comes form the very small game window).

- the movement with keyboard is risky, because it is too easy to walk into a rune trap even if you detected it. the stop should only be released after you press the space(not the arrow key).

- if your inventory is full, you cant take a new item even if you already have one or more of the same item (so it could add it to the stack).

- i think that it would be better if the equipped items wouldn't stay in the inventory. now if my inventory is full and i have two of the same rings, i cant equip it because it wants an other slot for the equipped ring. a similar thing: it is strange, I need 3 inventory slot to use torches. 1 for the unused, 1 for the used, and 1 for the burning torch. so if i have lamps and oils too, they will take lots of inventory space. (i think that the inventory is too small anyway. when you play with a warrior you need lots of scrolls and potions in stack, if you want to be able to response to the ruin traps. and it isnt too fun when you have to drop something after every opened chest (and it takes lots of work: open the inventory choose the item, drop it, choose the place where you wanna drop it). if the inventory would be at the main screen you could drag and drop the items to the ground too).

- if you have more than one empty lamps, and they are all in one stack, a single oil will fill all of them! similarly if you have a weapon and pick up an other one of the same weapon, it will be added to the stack of the equipped weapon(even if it is equipped). and if the equipped weapon breaks, both of them will be broken! (this is one more reason to remove the equipped things from the normal inventory)

- sometimes i get around 1700 gold :o somewhere at the beginning of the game, i don't know exactly why and where.

- if you have the 'haggle' skill, you can buy the green leather boots for 3 gold and you can sell it back for 4. with same of work you can have some free gold this way :mrgreen: .

- the graphical life and mana indicators are great (i died a lot when i used the numbers and i didnt realize im at low life), but it would be better if you could add the numbers below the images too (not OR). and i'd like to see the thirst and the hunger at the main screen too.

- there isnt anything in the documentation what does the armor abilities means (I talk about the x/y). i only found it in the other game version's faq, not in yours.

- with 'scrollrole' there is only a scrollrole filter at the spell screen so you cant filter your spells. (and i'm not sure if scrollrole is balanced at all. you can have access to a lot of spells with it)

- it would be great if there would be a 'favorite spells' filter, where i could add the spells i use the most (and maybe add a hotkey to them (the number keys are free now)).

- there should be some description of the scrolls similar to the spells. When i played with a warrior it was very hard to know what a scroll do only from its name

- is it intended the nexus cancels your active spells?

- is it intended you can recharge your items in the shops, by selling and rebuying it? (the same for the broken weapons) now it is kinda strong with the udjat eye. even if it isn't a bug i think that the i should be more expensive.

- i think that the normal shops(i mean not the rooms) are a bit too rare. it is hard to sell the unneeded items when you play with a warrior and you cant use the midas touch spell :)

- what is the throw option at some weapon? i wasnt able to use it.

- two grimoire can still be used only once per level (so you cant use both).

- it isnt perfectly clear for me how the hourglass works. it wont remove the whole last turn for sure.

- it would be great if you could see the statistics of your summoned monsters.

- it would be great if you could know what it means, when you shape change (OK i see it looks good to be a wolf but thats all).

- i have the feeling the game is a bit too long. at lever 30 i had a pretty strong character, but i had the feeling i wont see too much new for the rest of the levels so i started a fresh character to play, instead to play 120 more levels with the other one. is there enough new content in the later levels?

- what is the "botch" of a spell? it is same special rare failure?

- If you disintegrate an archpoint you can still teleport there (OK, this is totally unimportant, i just tried it :)

this is it for now :mrgreen:

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: some feedback
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Wow. Thats a long post :D

Quote:
- the game window is way too small on high resolution monitors

to draw all the things need quite a lot of processing power.
So I fear to display everything at once would not work on a lot of machines.
I agree that it would be nice to be able to change how everything is displayed, so for a faster machines display more. But this is a really hard task to achieve this. Guess we will not be able to make this happen in the near future.

Quote:
- the blue font isnt easy to read with the black background (maybe this comes form the very small game window).

maybe we should change it to another blue

Quote:
- the movement with keyboard is risky, because it is too easy to walk into a rune trap even if you detected it. the stop should only be released after you press the space(not the arrow key).

I do not really understand what you mean here. You can easily walk step by step with the keyboard. Thats how I guess most more advanced players play this game.

Quote:
- if your inventory is full, you cant take a new item even if you already have one or more of the same item (so it could add it to the stack).

It should be like this. Will try it again.

Quote:
- i think that it would be better if the equipped items wouldn't stay in the inventory. now if my inventory is full and i have two of the same rings, i cant equip it because it wants an other slot for the equipped ring. a similar thing: it is strange, I need 3 inventory slot to use torches. 1 for the unused, 1 for the used, and 1 for the burning torch. so if i have lamps and oils too, they will take lots of inventory space.

this is caused by how we handle inventory items. All stacks share the exact same attributes. At least you can destroy used torches to get rid of them.
To move used items out of the inventory could be an option. We will think about doing that.

Quote:
- if you have more than one empty lamps, and they are all in one stack, a single oil will fill all of them! similarly if you have a weapon and pick up an other one of the same weapon, it will be added to the stack of the equipped weapon(even if it is equipped). and if the equipped weapon breaks, both of them will be broken! (this is one more reason to remove the equipped things from the normal inventory)

this just means there is an error in stacking :D

Quote:
- sometimes i get around 1700 gold :o somewhere at the beginning of the game, i don't know exactly why and where.

Damn. This should not happen :)

Quote:
- if you have the 'haggle' skill, you can buy the green leather boots for 3 gold and you can sell it back for 4. with same of work you can have some free gold this way :mrgreen: .

will be fixed.

Quote:
- the graphical life and mana indicators are great (i died a lot when i used the numbers and i didnt realize im at low life), but it would be better if you could add the numbers below the images too (not OR). and i'd like to see the thirst and the hunger at the main screen too.

a combination of numbers and flasks sounds good

Quote:
- there isnt anything in the documentation what does the armor abilities means (I talk about the x/y). i only found it in the other game version's faq, not in yours.

Right. I will write something about armor

Quote:
- with 'scrollrole' there is only a scrollrole filter at the spell screen so you cant filter your spells. (and i'm not sure if scrollrole is balanced at all. you can have access to a lot of spells with it)

with scrollore you can learn spells from scrolls. but only if you have a circle 3 higher than the scroll. Do you think this is too powerful?

Quote:
- it would be great if there would be a 'favorite spells' filter, where i could add the spells i use the most (and maybe add a hotkey to them (the number keys are free now)).

you can already save spells on the keys 1-0 by pressing the number when you are on the spell.

Quote:
- there should be some description of the scrolls similar to the spells. When i played with a warrior it was very hard to know what a scroll do only from its name

Thats true. Will be programmed.

Quote:
- is it intended the nexus cancels your active spells?

yes this is intended. otherwise the mages would cast all lasting spells and then recharge.
Quote:
- is it intended you can recharge your items in the shops, by selling and rebuying it? (the same for the broken weapons) now it is kinda strong with the udjat eye. even if it isn't a bug i think that the i should be more expensive.

yes this is intended. It is already quite expensive. isn't it?

Quote:
- i think that the normal shops(i mean not the rooms) are a bit too rare. it is hard to sell the unneeded items when you play with a warrior and you cant use the midas touch spell :)

we will change that that they appear more regularly.

Quote:
- what is the throw option at some weapon? i wasnt able to use it.

have to try again if this is still working.
has to be improved anyway as close to nobody uses it.

Quote:
- two grimoire can still be used only once per level (so you cant use both).

this is wanted. maybe we should state that somewhere.

Quote:
- it isnt perfectly clear for me how the hourglass works. it wont remove the whole last turn for sure.

it moves you back to the position you started the turn. and resets mana and lifepoints.

Quote:
- it would be great if you could see the statistics of your summoned monsters.

true. will be implemented.
Quote:
- it would be great if you could know what it means, when you shape change (OK i see it looks good to be a wolf but thats all).

I totally agree. some changing means certain death for the player if used unwanted or in the wrong situation.

Quote:
- i have the feeling the game is a bit too long. at lever 30 i had a pretty strong character, but i had the feeling i wont see too much new for the rest of the levels so i started a fresh character to play, instead to play 120 more levels with the other one. is there enough new content in the later levels?

I also agree here. I myself never made it past level 19 :D
But I guess we have to wait until the story mode is implemented which will take quite a while.
At least we can solve the game in 100 levels now. Even if the staff of the covenant is not a real story yet.

Quote:
- what is the "botch" of a spell? it is same special rare failure?

We have to make it more visible what botch does. it should have a sound and a graphic. Will be implemented.

Quote:
- If you disintegrate an archpoint you can still teleport there (OK, this is totally unimportant, i just tried it :)

Thats a good one :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:51 pm 

Quote:
the game window is way too small on high resolution monitors (i use 1600x1200)

Otoh,with small resolution it's very suited for portable/pocket systems.
Quote:
the movement with keyboard is risky, because it is too easy to walk into a rune trap even if you detected it. the stop should only be released after you press the space(not the arrow key).

Could make it so one has to release the arrow key at least and press it again if one wants to march on.
Quote:
I think that it would be better if the equipped items wouldn't stay in the inventory

Could be done,yes.
Quote:
sometimes i get around 1700 gold :o somewhere at the beginning of the game

Which game version/system exactly? Windows/Linux/64 bit...
Would like to know where that one comes from..
Quote:
it would be great if there would be a 'favorite spells' filter

Had already started that, made an icon for it etc.
Quote:
...i think that the inventory is too small anyway... ...is it intended you can recharge your items in the shops?... ...i think that the normal shops(i mean not the rooms) are a bit too rare...it is hard to sell the unneeded items when you play with a warrior and you cant use the midas touch spell

You ever played Diablo or Baldur's Gate? (lot of other examples possible)
A full inventory is an eternal problem for players. In Diablo you keep running back to town selling crap. You also have to start leaving stuff behind at some point.
(I admit in laby you have to pick up a chest item and can only see what you got afterwards. But that will change too with multiple item chests)
As shop serve as refill facilities it's an important balance issue, how many there are. Game is too easy else.
Quote:
and i'm not sure if scroll lore is balanced at all. you can have access to a lot of spells with it

Yes, pretty powerful. Though kind of a gamble on which spells one gets.
In the long run one can get pretty much all spells though, which is too much obviously.
Quote:
If you disintegrate an archpoint you can still teleport there

You could even disintegrate the exit to the next level once. I disabled that,though I seriously considered not to. It's your own fault if you do ..
Teleporters don't have to have another teleporter as target technically.
Don't have to logically too. It is possible to block the exit with that though.
If you have one tele between the exit and the player and you removed the one that sends you back. Then you will need to remove the blocker too. But if you got disintegration, you CAN do just that.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:19 pm 

Many good points, expecially this one:

Quote:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:21 am 

hello again i'm back :D,

sorry i did not respond to your posts but i went to holiday then i forgot about it.

First of all, it is great to see, you have implemented some of the ideas i have written about and there are lots of improvement in the game besides of these too :D My favorite is the favorite spells filter it works great. it helps a lot when i have lots of spells :)

here are some fresh things (i used a mage now. 4.3.4 linux):
- my biggest problem is still that if i move fast in the labyrinth with the keyboard i still move into the traps and ruin traps even if they were detected (it would be too slow in a big map to move step by step). but i found that with fly and the magic spellsong i can avoid the traps (and i can choose the you can't detect traps trait too). the lose all your mana trap still hit me though, it is intentional?
- I think that you have to wait too much for the regeneration animation. it makes the gameplay less fluent (imagine it after an Armageddon...).
- it is very slow when you cast an Armageddon or a pestilence on a big map. you have to wait a lot till all the monsters will be damaged.
- i think it would be great if the damage of a spells could be found somewhere in the description. I think the best place would be the "power" line.
- maybe the most important thing: you can make infinite money easily in any shop: you can buy empty slots from the shop for free. after you have many of this, you buy something real and if the empty objects is the place where your new item should be placed, you will get as many as the empty place number were (it wont work for all the items though). i hope it is clear what i mean :mrgreen:
- there is some problem with the food and thirst numbers at the main screen. sometimes they jumps up to 190 both at the same times (in the inventory you can see the right number: for example 160 food, 70 thirst). when i eat something everything will be fine.
- is there any difference between shield and white protection?
- swords to plowshares says bow isn't a weapon (neither arrows).
- after you fight the hydra the map will be modified a bit: the area between the room will be deleted (there was the nexus of my map, this is how i realized it :D )
- it would be great if there were an "are you sure" question when you want to load a game (for the save it is unneeded). it is easy to load a game when i want to save one, and lose the current game after that :oops:
- it is a bit strange you can be poisoned when you are invulnerable. but im not sure if it is a problem or not (how it is more intuitive).
- amulet of luck +3 gives you only +2 luck.
- once i lost a spell that i got from free magic. it was an energy of the stones.
- i think, if your backpack is full and you try to pick something up, the turn shouldn't be over.
- is it impossible to find rope or waterskin in chests? (i had refresh and feather fall so it wasn't a problem for me, but i just did't see even one)
- it would be great if you could see the duration of the curses too (like the poison or the disease)
- some of the spells with item cost will destroy the item even when you fail the casting of the spell (transmigration, energy of the stones), some of them won't (Armageddon, pestilence).
- the description of the teleport spell don't say it costs an item (the other similar spells do).
- i think that you should be able to choose the heavy carrier even if you are weak. now for a fighter you don't need the trait because you have high strength, and you cant choose it for a weak wizard either.
- you should be able to choose disjunct even if you have chosen laylines contact. it could be an interesting way to go for only one mana regeneration per level (and dark mana, energy of the stones, nexus spell)
(i still think that it would be better if nexus (and layline contact) did not cancel your active spells. i don't like to recast the spells after the nexus or after i reach a new level.)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:53 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
- my biggest problem is still that if i move fast in the labyrinth with the keyboard i still move into the traps and ruin traps even if they were detected (it would be too slow in a big map to move step by step). but i found that with fly and the magic spellsong i can avoid the traps (and i can choose the you can't detect traps trait too). the lose all your mana trap still hit me though, it is intentional?

the whole keyboard handling is already changed in the svn.
We will move slower with the new routine so this behavior should stop.

Quote:
- I think that you have to wait too much for the regeneration animation. it makes the gameplay less fluent (imagine it after an Armageddon...).

Only creatures on the screen are animated, so armageddon will not take longer as a sea of fire.
Another player also suggested that and we will implement a new option to state if the players want all animations at the same time or one by one.

Quote:
- i think it would be great if the damage of a spells could be found somewhere in the description. I think the best place would be the "power" line.

If we find the space for that this will be implemented.

Quote:
- maybe the most important thing: you can make infinite money easily in any shop: you can buy empty slots from the shop for free. after you have many of this, you buy something real and if the empty objects is the place where your new item should be placed, you will get as many as the empty place number were (it wont work for all the items though). i hope it is clear what i mean :mrgreen:

already fixed in svn.

Quote:
- there is some problem with the food and thirst numbers at the main screen. sometimes they jumps up to 190 both at the same times (in the inventory you can see the right number: for example 160 food, 70 thirst). when i eat something everything will be fine.

thats strange. I will have a look at this one.

Quote:
- is there any difference between shield and white protection?

they work exactely the same way.
white protection gives you more protection for the same amount of mana.

Quote:
- swords to plowshares says bow isn't a weapon (neither arrows).

should work on bows but not on arrows.
will be fixed.

Quote:
- after you fight the hydra the map will be modified a bit: the area between the room will be deleted (there was the nexus of my map, this is how i realized it :D )

Will be fixed.

Quote:
- it would be great if there were an "are you sure" question when you want to load a game (for the save it is unneeded). it is easy to load a game when i want to save one, and lose the current game after that :oops:

Happend to me once too :cry:
Not sure if this would help as people that use nowadays systems are used to klick on all okay boxed without thinking a bit :lol:

Quote:
- it is a bit strange you can be poisoned when you are invulnerable. but im not sure if it is a problem or not (how it is more intuitive).

you should only be poisoned when are receive at least one point of damage.

Quote:
- amulet of luck +3 gives you only +2 luck.

fixed in svn.

Quote:
- once i lost a spell that i got from free magic. it was an energy of the stones.

what?

Quote:
- i think, if your backpack is full and you try to pick something up, the turn shouldn't be over.

too little effect to work on that :roll:

Quote:
- is it impossible to find rope or waterskin in chests? (i had refresh and feather fall so it wasn't a problem for me, but i just did't see even one)

there are no waterskins in the first 10 levels. as we want people that enter the laby poor to die from thirst when they have no other means to prevent that :evil:

Quote:
- it would be great if you could see the duration of the curses too (like the poison or the disease)

Its wanted that we do not know that :evil:

Quote:
- some of the spells with item cost will destroy the item even when you fail the casting of the spell (transmigration, energy of the stones), some of them won't (Armageddon, pestilence).

will be implemented.

Quote:
- the description of the teleport spell don't say it costs an item (the other similar spells do).

will be implemented.

Quote:
- i think that you should be able to choose the heavy carrier even if you are weak. now for a fighter you don't need the trait because you have high strength, and you cant choose it for a weak wizard either.

its wanted that these skills can't be taken at the same time.
Makes no sense inho.

Quote:
- you should be able to choose disjunct even if you have chosen laylines contact. it could be an interesting way to go for only one mana regeneration per level (and dark mana, energy of the stones, nexus spell)

wanted this way.

Quote:
(i still think that it would be better if nexus (and layline contact) did not cancel your active spells. i don't like to recast the spells after the nexus or after i reach a new level.)

its wanted to be this way. otherwise mages cast all duration spells before they enter a new level and are a superhero :lol:
They get unkillable fast enough imho.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:51 pm 

Quote:
Only creatures on the screen are animated, so armageddon will not take longer as a sea of fire.

that's true, but after the armageddon as i move in the labyrinth i have to wait when i reach any regenerating creature.

Quote:

If we find the space for that this will be implemented.

It seems like the "Power:" line has no real function now with the damage dealing spells. I think you could add something like a x2 after the power number

Quote:

what?

I think I found it. When you select the spell for free magic if you click with the mouse when the pointer isn't on any spell(above the spells on the black screen) you will get nothing. and i thought that I may lost the spell later, but it seems like i did not even get it.

Quote:

there are no waterskins in the first 10 levels. as we want people that enter the laby poor to die from thirst when they have no other means to prevent that :evil:

I didnt find any, while i won the whole game. It was like 80 or 90 levels. and not just waterskins but there wasnt any rope either. maybe it is a good idea you cant get them without a trait or the shop. but i wasnt sure if it is wanted this way or it is a bug.

Quote:

its wanted to be this way. otherwise mages cast all duration spells before they enter a new level and are a superhero :lol:
They get unkillable fast enough imho.

Yeah the mage is very strong, I think it could even win the game with 4-8 unused trait points ;) so i don't want the mage to be stronger but it is just a bit repetitive to recast the same spells again and again. I would be fine with it if the nexus would recast them automatically :lol: or if the duration spells would be like a continuous effect witch cost x mana/y turn, and until i dont cancel it at the main screen it would eat the mana from my pool. but ok, it isnt a big problem :oops:

some more things:
- it seems like the chaos scroll is reusable(at least when it is in the bottom inventory line). it is fun though. it fits to the chaos theme :P
- what does the "distracts enemies" medal do?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:14 am 

Quote:
i think it would be great if the damage of a spells could be found somewhere in the description. I think the best place would be the "power" line.

I think you rather mean the "duration" line. Power line does carry information.
Quote:
after you fight the hydra the map will be modified a bit: the area between the room will be deleted (there was the nexus of my map, this is how i realized i

What do you mean with "between the room" ? inside the room?
Can't be.. there is no nexus inside the hydra room. And you can only create one on the standard floor.
Quote:
it is a bit strange you can be poisoned when you are invulnerable

Spell description clearly states it does protect from physical damage only.
All other damage (fire,cold,poison,life drain) is supposed to still work.
Would the much too powerful if you really were totally invulnerable with it.
Quote:
is it impossible to find rope or waterskin in chests?

Yes, item generation is actually still very primitive right now. No leveled list no nothing..

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 am 

Quote:
after you fight the hydra the map will be modified a bit: the area between the room will be deleted (there was the nexus of my map, this is how i realized i

What do you mean with "between the room" ? inside the room?
Can't be.. there is no nexus inside the hydra room. And you can only create one on the standard floor.

Oh, sorry around the hydra's room, not between :oops: it seems like everything will be deleted just around the room.

OfflineProfile