It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Post subject: Burning scrolls
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:07 pm 

Hi. This is a great game! I wish it wasn´t that crashy on my comp. Sometimes, I have to recover certain game about thirty times before it starts to go continuously... :roll:

I remember that, when I played LL for the first time, some years ago, I was surprised, that the fire spells don´t burn scrolls (or herbs). I think it would be great if the mage player had to consider the damage/loot effectivity (especially with the Scroll Lore in the case of Fire magic), while operating with the MD spells. :D

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Burning scrolls
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:23 pm 

Yea, that'd be pretty nasty for fire magi with scroll lore. Though not too bad I guess if we only burn up scrolls that are on the floor already - not those just getting dropped by monsters killed by a fire spell.
One problem is that fire is already the weakest school right now. Even though it is popular. It simply lacks versatility compared to e.g. star magic which also has nice fire damage spells: meteor, star fire.
Star magic itself is suffering the most from item emulation: There are staves of polar light,meteor and star fire as well as the crystal ball and obsidian mirror for star sight.
Burning scrolls would also make the "illiterate" flaw even more attractive.

Item made of wood or cloth would also burn up then I guess... we'd need a material system like "crossfire" has.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:52 pm 

Well, as I see it, the Sea of Flames is just too cheap (2 mana with elder magic) and pretty strong. Well, once you know that spell, there is no reason not to cast it, unless you are on a flame level, where everything is immune.

Star magic damagers are very mana expensive in comparison. Meteor shower is useful mostly by its free targeting (and its physical damage)...

I don´t think that general vulnerability system for items could improve this kind of game. (although the meteor shower reminds me of fragility of potions :) ). The thing is that the fireproof scrolls are just too loud...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 am 

And the scroll-burning concern could be balanced by interaction with meat. Everytime when a piece of meat is exposed to fire, it gets (or have a chance to get?) adjective "roasted" (+10 hunger value).

What reminds me - the survival expert makes eating of the Ham or the chicken much of an overkill. That's annoying. What if the SE allowed to turn the Hunger into negative numbers due to saturation (with only 50% effectivity, of course).

OfflineProfile