It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:07 am

Post subject: Improved mechanics
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm 

It would be cool if some of the mechanics were changed to be more consistent.

1. You would think that fire and poison traps should hurt the monsters too if they can't resist the effects. Currently, fire traps are particularly weird because they even allow ambushes that are vulnerable to fire.
2. The goblin king who wants to keep you inside the room is assumed to hold the key to an exit. Currently, the exit is a stone block that you can't pass without killing the goblin king, even though you can sneak past the king. I was thinking that you should be able to get out if you can sneak past the king and you have an open spell or a silver or golden key. This way, sneaky assassin characters with very limited boss damaging abilities will not be crippled by the very existence of these rooms.
3. You would expect torches and candles to be able to burn webs that are in your way, saving you a lot of turns. I don't see a way to do that right now.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Improved mechanics
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:24 pm 

1. That'd be logical I guess. Just as Goblin's item damage. First problem: That'd be extra work. :roll: Secondly, game balance wise we don't want triggering a trap to have positive effects too.

2. Yes, I like the idea to make sneaking more viable. Will have to think about how to realize that though. The bosses would have to stand right in front of the door to prevent players simply walking to the door without any need for stealth. Maybe they could have a lever behind them which opens the door, so they would still be in the centre of the room.
(p.s. I just fixed a nasty bug that is crippling sneaking - making it impossible in deeper levels.)

3. Yes, torches should work, lamps maybe not, not sure about candles. Right now, only fire spells work, including fire aura, so strength based fighters can use fire weapons - if they have. Agile fighters should have less problems, as getting free is a test of dexterity.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:09 am 

Grunz wrote:
1. That'd be logical I guess. Just as Goblin's item damage. First problem: That'd be extra work. Secondly, game balance wise we don't want triggering a trap to have positive effects too.

Trapdoors can already have positive effects in case there is a nasty monster guarding the exit. Sometimes, I repeatedly enter trapdoor tiles without disarming them, hoping to escape through them. Unsuccessfully though because it seems that trapdoors are deterministic so that if you don't trigger them once, you never trigger them.

Grunz wrote:
2. Yes, I like the idea to make sneaking more viable. Will have to think about how to realize that though. The bosses would have to stand right in front of the door to prevent players simply walking to the door without any need for stealth. Maybe they could have a lever behind them which opens the door, so they would still be in the centre of the room.
(p.s. I just fixed a nasty bug that is crippling sneaking - making it impossible in deeper levels.)

To simplify the implementation, the exit can be a locked silver door. And thanks for fixing that bug.

Grunz wrote:
3. Yes, torches should work, lamps maybe not, not sure about candles. Right now, only fire spells work, including fire aura, so strength based fighters can use fire weapons - if they have. Agile fighters should have less problems, as getting free is a test of dexterity.

I think torches and candles should work because you are able to use to apply the fire. As for lanterns, the fire is contained within a cage. The loss of 5 or 10 charges should be reasonable for characters who have excess numbers of torches.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:49 pm 

Quote:
Sometimes, I repeatedly enter trapdoor tiles without disarming them, hoping to escape through them. Unsuccessfully though because it seems that trapdoors are deterministic so that if you don't trigger them once, you never trigger them.

Yes, traps get a difficulty rating each for dodge and detection at map generation.
That is so one can't succeed via load spamming. Allowing free save at any point does not mean we want to encourage that. So unless your trap dodge rating does change, the result won't either.

I put in doors for the monarch rooms, as you suggested. Note though, that a living monarch will cause combat boni and extra spawns for the associated minions.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:11 am 

Grunz wrote:
Yes, traps get a difficulty rating each for dodge and detection at map generation.
That is so one can't succeed via load spamming. Allowing free save at any point does not mean we want to encourage that. So unless your trap dodge rating does change, the result won't either.

I see. That explains why this escape strategy no longer works. Also, I'm seeing another use for a rope here if it's not already implemented.

Quote:
I put in doors for the monarch rooms, as you suggested. Note though, that a living monarch will cause combat boni and extra spawns for the associated minions.

Thanks. I'll imagine an explanation as to why sneaking works when not invisible. I forgot if monarchs resist assassination and can heal themselves, but I'm glad I can sidestep what would otherwise quickly burn through my herbs and attack wands while likely killing me.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Earlier versions of laby always had the boss monsters stand in front of the door blocking the exit this way.
I changed that when I implemented triggers.
So just killing them opens the door.

I kindof consider this change a step back.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:56 pm 

Killing the boss will still open the door of course.

OfflineProfile