It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Post subject: My feedback
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:41 pm 

• The flaw "Weak" is very... cheap for 2 skill points. It deducts 2 lifepoints, which is less than 1 experience point (by comparison, other 2 point skills and flaws usually modify the stat by 3, aside from affecting the stat cap). Further, considering how powerful God of War and Goddess of Healing are, the effects of Weak are next to zero - with just about any character, I take one of those two traits (usually the latter), and eventually get quite a lot of lifepoints, so I don't put any experience points into life anyway. Weak should reduce lifepoints by a quarter, or possibly by a half (for -3/4 points), much the same as Lame reduces speed by 50% no matter how much you have. (I find that Lame is also too punitive for just 2 bonus points, though perhaps others might disagree.
  • The flaw Pacifist is actually quite beneficial sometimes. My archers like it in particular - it doesn't affect them at all, but on the other hand, when wandering down a corridor, the message "you cannot attack in close combat" (paraphrased) warns me to the presence of an invisible enemy without wasting a turn (when I'm not stealthed). Perhaps this is not WAD.
  • Is it intentional that items (such as the robes of increasing magic resistance by +20%) do not raise my magic resistance if I have Magic Weakness?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: My feedback
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. Weak is probably too weak and the long term effect is too mild.
Pacifist is wanted like that. If you ever run out of arrows or mana your game is definately over.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm 

markus wrote:
Pacifist is wanted like that. If you ever run out of aarows or mana your game is definately over.

Which I do not, since Fletching allows me to pile up hundreds of arrows (I had to destroy them en masse by level 30-40 in my last game to lose some encumbrance). The point, however, was that crashing into something with the Pacifist trait, when not stealthed, does not waste a turn and thus it's easy to tell when there's an invisible monster in the way, without being hit by it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:20 pm 

Quote:
The flaw "Weak" is very... cheap .. the effects are next to zero ..

Short term, it is very little, yes. Can be nullified by most God selections - true. But it reduces the max. HP from 150 to 50 - that is a very hefty long term penalty. The traps and monsters below certain levels will one-hit weak characters. So if you plan to survive the laby, you will have to make sure to never get hit by certain things. By contrast, Xuande instead took "constitution" and simply could run into axe traps head-first.
Quote:
I find that Lame is too punitive for just 2 bonus points

Yes, It is - I never take it. But still under certain conditions, one can compensate well. It is somewhat dual to "weak" as short term it's strong but less and less impact in the long run. (One seldom gets to use all of the 25 max. steps, so 12 is not too bad really.) I think I may at least round up the speed, then lame players would start at 4 instead of 3 and top at 13 instead of 12. Last release some combined lame with "charge" and (ab)used the unlimited speed of charge to compensate lame. This seemed too absurd logically, "abstract" rogue or no, so it is blocked now.
Quote:
"you cannot attack in close combat" (paraphrased) warns me to the presence of an invisible enemy without wasting a turn.

True, that is NOT intended. Flaws are not supposed to provide benefits aside from character points. I'm sure I will change that. With our usual release speed, you can still profit from that for a very long time though. :roll:
Quote:
Is it intentional that items (such as the robes of increasing magic resistance by +20%) do not raise my magic resistance if I have Magic Weakness?

Nope. But it also has nothing to do with the magic weakness flaw. Instead many robes are broken in the latest release. :oops: They don't work at all because I forgot to adjust one file when changing the robes' colours. You will have to stick with the broken robes just as long as you can profit from "pacifist" side effects. :roll:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:41 pm 

Yeah, Weak significantly changes how you must play the game, and I'd only want it in very specific builds (and those builds would aim to complete the staff, so you can guess why I don't run Weak). Lame is feasible, though, so long as you're confident your food/water/light needs can be taken care of with room to spare.

On a side note, sorry I missed the Greenlight campaign :oops: Glad it worked out so far though, looking forward to having it as a part of Steam, and of course some competition on the leaderboards may spur me into playing again!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:12 am 

Quote:
On a side note, sorry I missed the Greenlight campaign :oops: Glad it worked out so far though, looking forward to having it as a part of Steam, and of course some competition on the leaderboards may spur me into playing again!

Yes, took a while - but we got enough votes. Getting the steam achievement for winning laby should allow same bragging rights. 5.3 is unbeaten yet .. though "Mag40" could have I'm sure, if being more cautious at the end. Or simply sealing the deal taking the last staff piece instead of going for max. points.

OfflineProfile