It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Post subject: Formula to avoid View of Death?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm 

In the last version, I was the unfortunate only player to be listed on the high score table as dying by View of Death. However, in 4.9.0, it will probably be a lot more common thanks to the fixed spawn rate of high level monsters. Which leads to my question:

What's the hit chance of this skill? I'd like to try a successful run with the "No Magic" flaw, which makes it a hell of a lot harder to avoid (or safely kill) all those Angels of Death/Shadow Demons/etc of the later floors, and if there's something besides "Favored of the Gods" I can take to dodge this skill more often, it would be nice to know beforehand. I suspect Luck helps, but besides that I have no idea.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Formula to avoid View of Death?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:44 pm 

Chance to avoid View of Death is Luck * 5%.
But is is capped at 90 %. So
Min( PlayerGetLuck(*Player) * 5, 90 )
Death gaze is not a spell, so magic resistance or counter spell won't help.
Those also won't help against breath attacks.
Sneaking / invisibility will prevent the monster from targeting you, so those DO work.

Nasty, but did not stop you obviously...
Also, if one collects the staff, then one does not need to venture so deep.
And Death Gaze is a thing for deep level monsters of course.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 pm 

I think there is also items that give like Protection from Petrification that also helps to protect against instant-death effects.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 pm 

Grunz wrote:
Chance to avoid View of Death is Luck * 5%.
But is is capped at 90 %. So
Min( PlayerGetLuck(*Player) * 5, 90 )
Death gaze is not a spell, so magic resistance or counter spell won't help.
Those also won't help against breath attacks.
Sneaking / invisibility will prevent the monster from targeting you, so those DO work.

Nasty, but did not stop you obviously...
Also, if one collects the staff, then one does not need to venture so deep.
And Death Gaze is a thing for deep level monsters of course.

I had rather bad luck with the random rooms. I did typically hit one per floor until near the end, but just never found any pieces. When it became obvious that I wasn't going to hit nine pieces, I changed gears and just focused on surviving.

Protection from Petrification isn't nearly as good, because there just aren't nearly as many monsters that threaten to petrify you (I can't recall a single time that Petrify has been attempted on me!) But, its understandable from a balance standpoint that late game monsters have to have some method of killing you. Favored of the Gods might be a steal at 1 CP, but it also requires not taking Forsaken (-2 CP) and generally means you'll support a god (2 more CP), so it just doesn't have space in most of my builds.

Taking Luck, on the other hand, is pretty doable since for 2 CP, you're getting 3 stat points and a resistance cap of 90%, instead of 75% - that's not too bad. Not counting the countless times I had a Dragon/Demon/Mummy die to View of Death, I was attacked by it perhaps four times, one of which hit and caused me to burn a Heartstone (I ended the game with one Heartstone left). As a fighter build, I suspect I'll have to survive a lot more of those.

I had been using an Amulet of Invisibility for most of the run, but I didn't know that Sneaking added another layer of protection. Not that my sneak rate would have been very high anyway...

OfflineProfile