It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Post subject: Lost Laby terrain tiles and license question.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:35 pm 

I've noticed many of the terrain tiles from Lost Labyrith have made there way into crossfire rpg and related forks. Now, having a crossfire fork myself, wograld, some of the terrain made there way there too and have been modified for 45 degree isometric.

I downloaded the most recent version of lost labyrith, that clears up a lot of the confusion about the artwork, but I still have questions about specific tiles. I did look at the rpg maker 2000 site, but it does not help they have several packs of tiles and the whole thing is in german.

so anyway, its the water tiles, desert tiles, floor tiles. I have to say who ever made them did a pretty good job, probably better than 90% of the terrain tiles I have come across, and that includes a lot of what I see in commercial games. (grass anyone lol) I think a lot of times people don't put the time and effort into terrain because the figure no one will notice, another reason could be preformance issues, more texture, work the computer has to do to display it, but this is only noticable in certain situations.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Lost Laby terrain tiles and license question.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:30 pm 

I've tried myself in vain to find the origin of each tile.
What I DID find out though, is that RPGmaker 2000 is NOT a source of legal resources. The core program and resources are a commercial software only available in Japan. The English version 100% pirated and got buffed with resources stolen from all over the place by users either not knowing or not caring about copyright issues. Few users seem to be aware of what rpgmaker 2000 really is.
Culminating in someone accusing me of stealing a sound from them. A sound I created myself and uploaded to freesound.org .
I saw a new version of rpgmaker was released (on steam) , this is a full price software and extra resources do cost extra too.
So my guess is the tiles you are interested in are simply inherited from blitz basic laby and thus of uncertain origin. :(

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 am 

Many of the textures are from the free TOME tiles library: http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/index.htm

These are free to use by anyone (Creative Commons). The artwork is made by David E. Gervais

Lost Labyrinth does contain some art from other sources as well though.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 pm 

Well, I found some lore book yesterday and it had the image of "The Path book" -quest item from Darkstone.

OfflineProfile