It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Post subject: Winning the game
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:22 pm 

Hello everybody, :D
i know to win the game is necessary collect 9 parts of a staff.
In my games i normally die around liv 15, and i never found out a single part of this staff.
In the main page is write:

Relatively short gameplay (between 10-40 Minutes)

Now i'm thinking, where the staff's part are normally placed?
Is necessary to go deeper, around liv20-30-40 or so? How is possible to really do it in ten minutes?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Winning the game
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:42 am 

If you are really good and get deep, then the game will take longer than a coffee break.
The average game time is on the assumption that you don't get very deep and that you don't win. In roguelike games it is supposed to be an exception to win - in contrast to the usual RPGs where every player can play through the main quest.
As you can see here, only 2 players have won the 5.0 version so far.
The staff pieces are spread around in the level 10 to 100 - alternatively one can win by going down through all 150 levels.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:19 pm 

You mean I'm supposed to be collecting staff pieces?

Oops. :?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:09 am 

Xuande, I think staff pieces may be harder than hopping 150 levels, but I don't know for sure. I'd say you need to beat it both ways to be hardcore :mrgreen:

Actually, I am kind of for having staff piece rooms appear randomly after 100 and that being the only win condition, but I'm not sure how much worse 101-150 are than the levels before them (do you see new stronger monsters?)

Also in 5.2, Mercenary + Poverty don't go together anymore, although I don't know how much you needed that trait. You would need to adjust the build but I don't think it would stop you :twisted:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:21 am 

Actually, I went through 2 special levels before 25, but I am wondering - where is a staff piece? Is it in random chest, gold chest, or randomly placed? I haven't seen any when wandering the level.

Also, I can go deeper and get stronger, and return to these special levels right? Perhaps when it is easier to survive some of them like poison fields.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 am 

The staff pieces are all inside rooms, so to find them, you have to explore all rooms, not every corner of each level.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:55 am 

Oh, it is weird then, so some special levels will NOT have a staff piece, correct? Because, I do not see rooms on these levels with Cartography, but I normally DO see the rooms on my map (I guess I can try Star Sight if it's a special rule here). My understanding is that ONE special level in every 10 (10-19, 20-29, etc) up to 100 will contain a staff piece, but I have seen two special levels in a row before, it must be random then which one has it.

So, if I see the map but I do not see a room (the "?" marks) then it is not in that one and I can proceed to next level? That would also mean if I miss one I can return to it later by coming back up the levels.

Also now that I think of it, can Alternate Timeline be used to re-make a special level into one that does have the staff piece? If it's not pre-determined, that could be a loophole.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:04 am 

Quote:
if I see the map but I do not see a room (the "?" marks) then it is not in that one and I can proceed to next level?
Yes, no room - no staff piece.
Quote:
can Alternate Timeline be used to re-make a special level into one that does have the staff piece?
No. But you can possibly remove a staff piece from the game if you cast if after you a opened the room with it in, but did not collect it. That'd be like casting disintegration on a staff piece tile.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 am 

binaryman wrote:
Xuande, I think staff pieces may be harder than hopping 150 levels, but I don't know for sure. I'd say you need to beat it both ways to be hardcore :mrgreen:

Actually, I am kind of for having staff piece rooms appear randomly after 100 and that being the only win condition, but I'm not sure how much worse 101-150 are than the levels before them (do you see new stronger monsters?)

Also in 5.2, Mercenary + Poverty don't go together anymore, although I don't know how much you needed that trait. You would need to adjust the build but I don't think it would stop you :twisted:

I take Mercenary purely as a score-building trait, Heirloom would be better if I needed a starting gold boost, but Mercenary gives me all the gold I can hold by the end of the game.

There are a few monsters that only show up really late (and they tend to be invisible and resist many things), but by Floor 100, you're experiencing the brunt of the challenge. Except, of course, the maps getting yet bigger and harder to navigate.

OfflineProfile