It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am

Post subject: Bugs in 4.9.0 (Extended Version)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 am 

* Leylines Contact. Pretty sure its not intended to give you free mana every floor (as in 4.8.2) and also fully fill your mana again as an activated skill! Although my recent run did not rely on this, it is a rather cheap way for a spellcaster main to triple their mana for 2 CP.

* The summoning mechanic as a whole has some issues, like skipping whoever's turn was next after a summon dies by battle/spell/breath. If I'm playing alone, that means I get my turn skipped when my summon dies. If I'm playing 2-player, it means my teammate gets their turn skipped because my summon died! This can't be right. Also, sometimes I inherit my summon's poison/disease status when it dies - not always, but often.

* Speaking of summons, their only use in the endgame is to faceplant vs traps and invisible/off-screen enemies. They don't actually kill anything, even a Dragon with Arcane Power using Dragon Fire deals lackluster damage. Not so much a bug as perhaps a balance issue.

* Heal Others (spell) is setting the target's health to a certain value (often 12, in my runs) rather than adding 12 to their current health. It makes what would be an excellent team spell worthless.

* Quickening (spell) is too good, and its because if you fizzle a "meta" magic spell, it doesn't end your turn. I can fire off upwards of 10 spells (not counting Quickening itself) on my first turn of a new floor, getting all my buffs active without having to worry about my surroundings. Worst that can happen is a fizzle, and then I can just Quickening->Heal it off. I propose that all "meta" magic spells have a limit of one cast per player turn, to prevent this kind of abuse.

* Merchant isn't useful for more than one player to have in a multiplayer run. I'm working on a run with another player where we both started with Merchant, and we're running into all the exact same merchants - which sucks if there's something I want that my partner already bought, or vice versa. Not sure if this was intended, but I think a quick fix would be to have each player's 20% chance per floor independent of the other players.

* Mystic Attack works with Tunnel but doesn't work with Fork or Quickening. Not sure if this is intended, but Mystic Attack+Tunnel is a godsend on later floors.

* Break Boulder (spell) currently is a placeholder, doing nothing at all. Every boulder I saw in a 149 floor run was an invalid target, since each was a Boulder (floor). Weird, seeing as how a Pickaxe worked just fine on them.

* Futurevisions (spell) states that I can't see the destination when I try to target an unseen room. Isn't the point of this spell to identify it for me?

* On Floor 89 or so of my most recent run, I used a Genocide scroll successfully on the Centaur race - it removed all of them from the floor I was on, and claimed to for previously visited floors. However, just a few floor later, I went into another forest map and sure enough, there were a lot more Centaurs.

* Not sure how to trigger it, but there's an annoying bug that takes place where, if you scroll through your list of spells with your keyboard, you get blank data for the effects/values of the highlighted spell. Still works fine with the mouse, but I prefer playing keyboard-only and the only fix is to save game, quit the program, then load the save back up. It happens perhaps once per 1-2 hours to me.

This is all that comes to mind at the moment, but I'll post more as they come to me.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Bugs in 4.9.0 (Extended Version)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for writing this post.
This helps us a lot with balancing the game.

And congrats on solving the new version of the game in the first week since its out :)

We are currently checking out all the stuff you write and think you are pretty much right in all points. We will give more feedback as soon as we know what do do about them.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.

Something else that came to mind - I used a Cheat Death scroll on an Onyx and received a Pineapple. I don't know if that spell has a failure rate because I haven't used it much, but Onyx is rare enough that trading it for a Pineapple is cruel :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:56 pm 

First Aid has the exact same problem as Leylines Contact. It heals you when you go down a floor, as well as having an activated skill that does the same thing.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 am 

Xuande wrote:
* Leylines Contact. Pretty sure its not intended to give you free mana every floor (as in 4.8.2) and also fully fill your mana again as an activated skill! Although my recent run did not rely on this, it is a rather cheap way for a spellcaster main to triple their mana for 2 CP.

You are correct. Fixed.

Quote:
* The summoning mechanic as a whole has some issues, like skipping whoever's turn was next after a summon dies by battle/spell/breath. If I'm playing alone, that means I get my turn skipped when my summon dies. If I'm playing 2-player, it means my teammate gets their turn skipped because my summon died! This can't be right. Also, sometimes I inherit my summon's poison/disease status when it dies - not always, but often.

Summoning has been reworked. All of these bugs should be fixed now. I also added another feature where you can swap between players without ending their turn with the TAB key. You can only swap to a player or summon who has not ended their turn yet.

Quote:
* Speaking of summons, their only use in the endgame is to faceplant vs traps and invisible/off-screen enemies. They don't actually kill anything, even a Dragon with Arcane Power using Dragon Fire deals lackluster damage. Not so much a bug as perhaps a balance issue.

I already added some scaling for summons depending on Spell Power. Each point of Spell Power gave 10% bonus to all stats, damage and life. So 15 Spell Power gives +150% Life, Defence and Damage among other things. Maybe this isn't enough.

Quote:
* Heal Others (spell) is setting the target's health to a certain value (often 12, in my runs) rather than adding 12 to their current health. It makes what would be an excellent team spell worthless.

This is fixed.

Quote:
* Quickening (spell) is too good, and its because if you fizzle a "meta" magic spell, it doesn't end your turn. I can fire off upwards of 10 spells (not counting Quickening itself) on my first turn of a new floor, getting all my buffs active without having to worry about my surroundings. Worst that can happen is a fizzle, and then I can just Quickening->Heal it off. I propose that all "meta" magic spells have a limit of one cast per player turn, to prevent this kind of abuse.

I am not sure what to do with meta-magic yet. Limiting Quickening to maximum once per turn seems like the right thing to do. Also increasing the mana cost for Quickening might be another balancing factor.

Quote:
* Merchant isn't useful for more than one player to have in a multiplayer run. I'm working on a run with another player where we both started with Merchant, and we're running into all the exact same merchants - which sucks if there's something I want that my partner already bought, or vice versa. Not sure if this was intended, but I think a quick fix would be to have each player's 20% chance per floor independent of the other players.

I think this was intentionally implemented. Why, I am not sure. It should be fairly easy to have a one-time merchant appear for each player. They have after all invested 2 CP on this skill.

Quote:
* Mystic Attack works with Tunnel but doesn't work with Fork or Quickening. Not sure if this is intended, but Mystic Attack+Tunnel is a godsend on later floors.

Mystic Attack should not work with any meta-magic I think. This is actually a side-effect from some code improvements we implemented a while ago.

Quote:
* Break Boulder (spell) currently is a placeholder, doing nothing at all. Every boulder I saw in a 149 floor run was an invalid target, since each was a Boulder (floor). Weird, seeing as how a Pickaxe worked just fine on them.

This is a bug. Should be fixed next release.

Quote:
* Futurevisions (spell) states that I can't see the destination when I try to target an unseen room. Isn't the point of this spell to identify it for me?

This is another bug that will be fixed.

Quote:
* On Floor 89 or so of my most recent run, I used a Genocide scroll successfully on the Centaur race - it removed all of them from the floor I was on, and claimed to for previously visited floors. However, just a few floor later, I went into another forest map and sure enough, there were a lot more Centaurs.

Yet another bug. Seems Special Levels are exempt from Genocide.

Quote:
* Not sure how to trigger it, but there's an annoying bug that takes place where, if you scroll through your list of spells with your keyboard, you get blank data for the effects/values of the highlighted spell. Still works fine with the mouse, but I prefer playing keyboard-only and the only fix is to save game, quit the program, then load the save back up. It happens perhaps once per 1-2 hours to me.

I haven't encountered this so far. It seems you manage to get the spell book into a state where it cannot get out of again.

Quote:
I used a Cheat Death scroll on an Onyx and received a Pineapple.

LOL! This is definetly a bug :P

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 pm 

Alright, sounds good. Any possible timeline for the next release?

A few more minor things:

I've ran into a game-crashing bug involving using Crafting to give my starting Dagger or other weapon Aura of Fire/Cold, it often causes a crash after I enter combat. I've also had problems at times repairing my starting Dagger after making it Magical, the screen will just flash to no effect when I highlight the Dagger and choose the Repair option.

The "Nutrition" label should be changed on the Blood item to reflect that it helps with Thirst instead.

When picking "Weak Arms" (no weapon) as a quirk, Two-Handed Fighting probably should be removed as a legal perk.

EDIT: Bloodlust does not stack with "Offensive Stance" from Fighting Styles. As an example, my base damage was 2-5 and I was at critical health (Damage x5 from Bloodlust) and enough Attack (20) to gain Damage+20 from Offensive Stance. My normal 2-5 damage becomes 10-25 under Bloodlust (correct), but only 30-45 under Offensive Stance (adding 20 Damage after Bloodlust, instead of before). I would have expected my base 2-5 to become 22-25 and then go to 110-125 under Bloodlust. This might be because of balance reasons, or it might be a bug, I'm unsure.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:06 pm 

Quote:
I've ran into a game-crashing bug involving using Crafting to give my starting Dagger or other weapon Aura of Fire/Cold, it often causes a crash after I enter combat. I've also had problems at times repairing my starting Dagger after making it Magical, the screen will just flash to no effect when I highlight the Dagger and choose the Repair option.

Noted.

Quote:
When picking "Weak Arms" (no weapon) as a quirk, Two-Handed Fighting probably should be removed as a legal perk.

Yes we have missed that one. One cannot Two-Handed when this quirk is selected.

Quote:
The "Nutrition" label should be changed on the Blood item to reflect that it helps with Thirst instead.

That makes sense.
Quote:
Bloodlust does not stack with "Offensive Stance" from Fighting Styles.

I think this is intended for balance reasons, but I can check. Walking around with only 5 hp is a big risk after all!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 pm 

Ghost in a Bottle (item) isn't keeping a constant status. In one run I tried to use it and got a message that it was Sanctum only. I thought that was nice, an Angel isn't too bad - but at the Sanctum I got a message that it was Bones only. So I decided to try the Sanctum again and got a Dragon.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:32 am 

I guess the monster inside is random and different monsters have different requirements to be summoned.

Since it is an item and not a spell, it should not require any tile at all and always summon the monster.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:34 pm 

I loaded my save from floor 149 to test a couple of things, but when I tried to go up a floor to floor 148 (since 149 was a special poison stage, and I wanted to test something vs Angel of Death), it ended the game. Worse, when I hit 'n' for no on the high score page, it still uploaded my "new" high score and erased my former listing. This matters somewhat to me because I had my run listed at under 11 hours, and now it looks blank/phony. Ditto with losing my Week 1 status.

OfflineProfile