It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Post subject: User Interface Problems (4.9.0)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 am 

This all applies to version 4.9.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

1. Clicking on the quick-access set of items (bottom left area of screen while in game) while in the inventory screen doesn't let you interact with them using the standard menu. This make it difficult, if not impossible, to remove items from there. It wasn't like this in the earlier versions of the game.

2. The roll-over descriptions for the quick-access set of items is cut off by the edge of the screen.

3. The keyboard shortcut Alt+Enter does not resize the window. Most applications map that key combination to the resize command, and this would be preferable for consistency reasons.

4. It would be nice there was an command to automatically put all arrows into the quick-access set of items. Otherwise, as is currently the case, I usually put all the arrow stacks I get from fletchery there myself.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: User Interface Problems (4.9.0)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am 

sbluen wrote:
3. The keyboard shortcut Alt+Enter does not resize the window. Most applications map that key combination to the resize command, and this would be preferable for consistency reasons.

This is sadly not possible with the API we are working on. There are some strange restrictions with the PureBasic development tools. This is however possible with Laby DX, but that project is far from complete.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:22 am 

Thanks for your response.

Quote:
2. The roll-over descriptions for the quick-access set of items is cut off by the edge of the screen.

I saw this happen only in windowed mode.

Also, as another user interface problem, the cancel option in the skill selection menu does nothing.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am 

- The menu will no longer draw over things in next release because of a restructured layout.
- The change in the quick slots came with making them a general access method for items, skills and spells. Before that only items could be there.
Skills and spells of course don't have an item menu to open.
It should be not too difficult to also make the quick access slots open the item menu instead of triggering their action when in inventory.
I am unsure though, how an intuitive way to clear a quick slot would look like.
It's not strictly necessary to clear them anyway, as one can assign something else to a slot empty or not.
I think I should make the quick slots follow an item at least. Right now, putting and item into a slot will make the quick slot point at the inventory slot where it actual item is in.
Now if you move something else there, then that item will appear in the quick slot.
This is surely not the expected behaviour.

The abort button in skill selection brings me back to the title screen, as it should.
But I develop under Linux, so it might be a windows only problem.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am 

A special command to assign ammunition to quick slots seems very specific to me.
I might however make the game put certain start equip items into quick slots at game start.
This would then be things like pickaxe, shovel, wands, trap-toolkit and ammunition of course.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:59 am 

I was referring to this screen: http://puu.sh/2HQmp.jpg

As another bug, switching to another process using Alt+Tab in windows 7 causes the game to crash.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:35 pm 

Ah yes, indeed.
This screen has been reworked already and problem is gone.

As for the crash, that does not happen to everybody.
Works fine for Zefz (Win 7 x64) and me (XP x32).

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 am 

This crash happens only in fullscreen mode. And it is not really a crash. Rather, the game freezes and becomes unresponsive if you tab out of it from fullscreen mode.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:46 pm 

sbluen wrote:
This crash happens only in fullscreen mode. And it is not really a crash. Rather, the game freezes and becomes unresponsive if you tab out of it from fullscreen mode.

In my case, the game just closes itself if I alt-tab (Windows XP). Doesn't really bother me, because I can just save beforehand.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:31 pm 

Quote:
In my case, the game just closes itself if I alt-tab (Windows XP). Doesn't really bother me, because I can just save beforehand.

This is not normal behaviour. I think Markus tests on Windows XP an hasn't encountered that problem either. If it crashed, then at least a crash screen should appear and automatically save your game. (with an option to restore it when you restart the game).

OfflineProfile