It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Post subject: Bugs in 5.0.0 (Extended Version)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:27 am 

Unfortunately, I have to post this already.

The Extended Version is currently unplayable. Any attempt to select a character sprite (whether you're trying to save to template, or start a new game, either difficulty) results in the following crash: http://i.imgur.com/bwLLng3.jpg

I downloaded the Free Version and can confirm that this crash doesn't happen on that version.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Bugs in 5.0.0 (Extended Version)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:24 pm 

This bug is rather puzzling, as this line is nothing specific to the extended version.
It's simply drawing the cursor for name input.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 pm 

For what its worth, I downloaded the Extended Version a second time to see if it was a corrupt download issue, but nothing changed. It still crashes when a sprite is selected.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:18 am 

Yes, Markus could confirm this crash. It does only happen under Windows.
Linux versions do work, so you could install Linux (on a virtual machine).

We are also experimenting with the new release of the pure basic compiler, but that one does not work under Linux so we kinda get the same trouble , just in reverse.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:21 am 

That's not really an option for me. I'm on a rather old PC with limited storage space, and I don't plan to upgrade from that until sometime next year. I'll wait until a fix is posted for the Windows version.

Maybe I'll play the Free version if I'm especially bored, but there are some rather nice toys in Time Magic now (even if Rift got a deserved nerf), and giving up Vegetarian as a magic user is basically giving up two points. Parry also looks ridiculous on paper for a physical build, especially the kind of build I've been testing pre-release (running Weak+Sturdy to limit my investment in LP to one or two level-ups, to have more points for Attack).

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 pm 

You should also try the new charge attack implementation as an active skill. I had a lot of fun with it while testing. The Warlock weapons got buffed too so we hope that hybrid classing is a bit more feasible now.
Quite a shame though, that only the 14% Linux users can get extended running.
If none if those bought, then nobody can for now. :(
Btw. the old dim. rift is still there , as it formerly was simply calling the identical code as "blow away". (Which can't be a good spell as it is in air school. ;) )

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:39 am 

Nope, it can't warp me through walls. And if it actually worked against tougher enemies...but it doesn't.

The problem with Air Magic isn't that it lacks good spells, its that the spells that are nice are ones that Free Magic has no problem picking up (in particular, not much competition for Featherfall or Whirlwind). I still think Elemental Magic for 6 cp is overpriced, but I'll agree to disagree on that point.

Just as I'll agree to disagree about Scroll Lore - there's no way I'm taking that for 4 cp while Free Magic exists and is more consistent. The "potential" is higher with Scroll Lore, but I'll take consistency over potential any day - just like I'll run Cartography for more consistent pathing rather than potentially finding my way without a map or once-per-floor casting on huge endgame floors.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:17 pm 

Ah, so you did not mean "temporal rift" - you were talking about "dimensional swap". Yes, that is a different spell. And I did put in a limit on that one. You don't need to have the tunnel spell anymore though. It's sufficient to see the monster. This means you still need true light or monster sense to use it through walls. Actually all the time teleports got a limit so that just having one of them won't allow you to get all over the place without any trouble. If you got the whole school, the combined telport abilities from the different spells will be quite useful still imo.
I also removed the limit from star sight and made it mark all tiles on the map as "seen". This also makes the mirror and crystal ball more useful without resorting to save/load scamming.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 pm 

My bad.

Any progress on getting the Windows version working yet?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

We are working on it right now.
The new compiler (5.20) fixed it for windows.
We encounter some new (small) bugs (glitches) with it. As soon as they are solved we will release a working extended version for windows as well.

OfflineProfile